Sunday, June 15, 2014

Glow-in-the-dark Sand, My New BFF


Having a class of students with behavioral needs, writing or skill-and-drill practice is really challenging. I'm always looking for fun ways to get students excited to practice. My students loved practicing on our DIY light table, so I started thinking of other ways that I could make stuff glow. A colleague told me that she made glow paint by mixing paint with glow powder or the contents of a glow stick, which blew my mind (I'm easily amused, lol). My class enjoys writing spelling words in sand, so I thought-- GLOW SAND! (Which apparently already exists-- Crayola Glow Explosion Sand... So much for going on Shark Tank with this idea. Womp womp.) 

Anyway-- My students absolutely LOVED this, and so did I! The pictures do it no justice. This stuff is bright, and it glows for a few hours.Turn out the lights, and watch your students GLOW with excitement (har har, pun intended)! 

Some Fun Hands-on Learning Activities for Glow-in-the-Dark Sand
  • Handwriting practice
  • Cursive practice
  • Number writing
  • Missing number writing
  • Addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division practice
  • Write upper and lowercase letters
  • Spelling practice
  • Sight word identification
  • Name practice

Some Ways to Make Glow-in-the-Dark Sand

  • Mix salt or sand with fluorescent/glow-in-the-dark paint
  • Mix salt or sand with glow powder
  • Mix salt or sand with the contents of a glow stick
How could you use glow-in-the-dark sand in your classroom? Please share in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment