Saturday, August 16, 2014

Bright Ideas Blog Hop- Get Students to Close Markers and Glue!

I'm linking up with the Bright Ideas Blog Hop for August, and here's my bright idea!



I think my class has set the record for the longest running set of markers and glue. Simply reminding kids never seems to be enough. I started singing songs to cue my students to close their glue and markers properly. By the time I've finished singing a verse, everything's shut!

I started having a contest to see which group of students can be the first to start singing the song when I cue everyone to clean up. I challenged them to see if their group could remember before I could. Someone always remembers to start singing the song (perfect if I forget) during clean-up time, and everyone's markers and glues are shut!

Here are the cheesy little songs that have made such a difference and have actually gotten my students to CLOSE their markers and glue.

"Twist and Shut" for Twist-able Glue Bottles
Sung to the tune of "Twist and Shout" by The Beatles.
Well, take your glue bottles now (take your glue bottles)
Twist and shut (twist and shut)
Come on, come on, come on, come on, students now (come on, students)
Don't let them dry out (don't let them dry out)

"Put the Cap on Your Marker" (or "Put the Cap on Your Glue Stick")
Sung to the tune of "If You're Happy and You Know It"
Put the cap on your marker 'til it clicks (click, click)
Put the cap on your marker 'til it clicks (click, click)
Put the cap on your marker
Put the cap on your marker
Put the cap on your marker 'til it clicks (click, click)

Another fun challenge is to number the students' markers and glue, or write their names on them, and see who can keep his or hers the longest.

If you enjoyed this bright idea, please consider joining me on BloglovinFacebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Teachers Pay Teachers for more ideas.

For more bright ideas from more than 100 different bloggers, please browse through the link-up below, and choose a topic/grade level that interests you. Thanks for visiting!




6 comments:

  1. Very cute songs! I love using music in the classroom for lots of things....does make a difference!
    Diane
    schoolhousetreasures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! I agree that it makes a difference! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I love the little songs. I find myself making up songs all day long "Pass the markers, and erasers, down the row, down the row, as the markers and erasers, down the row, down the row." LOL


    Jennifer from Simply Kinder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let go of me. Stuffed throat feels like an egg, put down the gun, we have barbour sale uk something barbour sale uk good discussion. Adam's apple tightly collapsed, blocking his airway, faint trace barbour jacket sale of air flow in the gap, like barbour sale uk drop in the bucket, his lungs almost to explode. , Put down the gun, barbour sale uk Let me go, barbour sale outlet or I make. Ahem. I let you out sideways. Out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You stand still, at best, cheap ray ban sunglasses clearance or riffraff, no connotation of dignity in how to do it. I do not know how ray ban sunglasses clearance sale frogs days. Do I ray ban sunglasses clearance sale let you go to school not harm you, not learn knowledge also not ray ban sunglasses clearance sale learn knowledge. ray ban sunglasses clearance sale A cheap ray ban sunglasses clearance woman will be able to meet you, you will be able to send hundreds of dollars, saw several large well-informed on that.

    ReplyDelete