Friday, April 11, 2014

Paper Pizza Practice! Because Friday is PIZZA DAY!

Sometimes I wonder why I bother taking lunch orders on pizza day... Just about everybody orders pizza! In honor of the mood of the day, I decided to make a pizza center for my class!

It's tough to make centers work in a multi-age classroom. The kids often want to do what the other kids are doing, and it's tough to have them working on the same idea with a different lesson. Independent work also tends to be tricky in a behavior support room, so I always try to amp up the interest for that kind of stuff!

Today during my commute an idea popped into my head-- PIZZA SHOP!

Using construction paper, I cut out dough, sauce, cheese, and toppings. Then, I took the objectives I wanted to review and put them on the pizza pieces. Here's an example of two of the sets I made-- one for multiplication fact practice for my older kiddos, the other for spelling practice for my younger kiddos.



For the multiplication pizza, I put the products on the pizza parts and the problems on the toppings. Students had to match the toppings with the products. For the word pizzas, I put a word on each of the pizza parts and had students match them, reading and spelling as they did. You could probably make them self-correcting by putting colored dots on the backs!

I was thinking of making pizzas for addition, subtraction, division, and shapes! I bet I could also make them for spelling, with whole words on the pizza parts and letters on the toppings.

Even my reluctant learners loved this! They are fun to glue and use a hallway display, or pack up for repeated use.

I was thinking of possibly making a product related to this, with ready-made templates that students could cut and color. What would you like in this type of center? Please share in the comments below!

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. This is such a neat idea! I love the idea of the life skill of making the pizza tied into academics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenn! I didn't even think of it that way! It's always cool to realize when you integrated different areas for learning! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete