Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Challenging Kids, Challenged Teachers Book Review

Sticker charts, timers, procedures, routines, contingency contracts... Ever feel like you've tried it all when it comes to behavior management? What do you do with the child who rips the sticker chart, throws the digital timer, or... well, you get the point.

I've been referred to this book by many who call it the "Emotional Support Bible." I couldn't agree more. This book, in my opinion, was one of the few resources that actually gave me ideas when I said, "Been there. Done that."

One thing I love about the book is that it doesn't need to be read cover to cover. I seek out the table of contents whenever I'm faced with a particular challenge, or when I need a refresher. It's also a great resource for paraprofessionals, homeroom teachers, therapeutic support staff, and parents.

The authors of this book have worked with children with challenging behavior on a personal and professional level. It gives teachers a look into a parent's heart and provides parents with a peek into a teacher's perspective. What a great way to bring everyone together on the same team!



Check it out, and let me know what you think! Have you read this book before? Do you suggest any other similar titles? I'd love to hear your comments below!

Thanks,

2 comments:

  1. I want to get this book but I would rather not pay $220 from amazon. Where did you get yours from?

    Jamie
    Tales of a Carolina Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, the price on that link must have gone up! I got mine from Amazon for muuuuch cheaper. The link above is back down to $125. Sometimes products fluctuate in price. Bummer!

    Here's a link at a better price $26 for Kindle from Amazon http://amzn.to/1nCLAlN

    I also found an e-book for download at $16.36 here http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Challenging-Kids-Challenged-Teachers/Leslie-E-Packer-PhD/Q622578456

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete