Monday, September 23, 2013

Finally, students want to practice tying their shoes!

In a multi-age classroom you're likely to find a few students who are unable to tie their shoes. A colleague of mine told me that her son learned how to tie his shoes by watching the television show Spongebob Squarepants. In case you've been living under a rock (or in a pineapple under the sea), Spongebob is HUGE among elementary aged students.















Spongebob has a song for shoe tying practice! It's pretty catchy, and the students love it. First, I teach the lyrics. Then, I teach students how to tie their shoes, using the words of this song. Finally, I give them independent practice time with lacers (or actual shoes) while I play the song on loop.

Check out the Spongebob shoe tying video here! (Not the best quality, but it works!)


How do you help students tie their shoes? Share in the comments below!

Happy tying,






A Peach for the Teach

2 comments:

  1. Cute idea! I told my OT if she writes a shoe tying goal she gets to teach it, ha ha. It took me a week when I was student teaching to realize I was confusing the kid because being left handed, I do everything backwards. OOPS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a cute idea? Haha, I bet your OT loved that! It took me forever to learn to tie my shoes, because my mom was a lefty and I was a righty!

    ReplyDelete